Tuesday, September 25, 2012

That Will NEVER Be My Kid!

I had a fabulous shoot this week with the sweetest little family and most adorable 1 year old boy ever! Over the course of this shoot, the mother and I chatted about a few things, mostly Mommy related. Toward the end, the topic of behavior was brought up. We discussed how we always swore we would never have one of "THOSE" kids. You know the type. The screaming in Wal-Mart kind. The running around like a monkey kind. The kind that seem absolutely unaware of anyone else's presence.  But, alas, I have one.  

SO many parents come to my sessions worried that their child won't cooperate.  

Let me say this once, for all you Mommies to hear.   
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!

Sessions with young kids are often the most time consuming, but they're also the most fulfilling. It's those moments that you think you're little one is being "awful" that often turn out to make the sweetest pictures!
Take this one, for example:

My sweet little client was so very tired by the end of our session, after naturally refusing to nap for Momma. He very matter-of-factly sat down in the grass and proceeded to work up a crank. And then I caught the sweetest little pout ever.  And you know what? After I took it, Momma said "I'm so glad you got that! I've always wanted a picture of his pouty face!"

See what I mean? Sometimes, it's best to just let the kiddos do their thing. They'll show us the beauty they have to share for your images in their time. No need to force it! 

And trust me when I say "This is nothing compared to how my kids act." 
I recently had a make up session at one of my favorite local locations, and happened to have Joey with me. So, I took advantage once my client's session was over and attempted to snap some images of my pretty princess. 

Our little mini session promptly went from these:
To these:

All in a matter of 5 minutes or less. 

So I truly do know how you feel and where you're coming from.
Relax. Let them be kids. The outcome will be worth it :)

1 comment:

  1. Adorable photographs, Amanda! And what you say is true; I have always told the parents it's better to just let the kids be kids. We can create certain opportunities for great photographs even in these "situations" and the more you photograph this way, the better your selection gets!

    Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete